REFLECTION - UNIT 7 - PRIMARY PHOTOS/VIDEOS

10TH FEB REFLECTION : EVALUATION OF MY PROGRESSION, WORKING PROCESS, POSITIVE STRATEGIES AND APPROACHES (OF PART1 & 2) I CAN TAKE FORWARD

Reflecting on the progress I’ve made over the past 6months, I found that the elements I was looking to change or improve haven’t been areas that need improvement. My overall approach I take in regards to my working process whether it being research or development has evolved and grown, this idea of preciousness and holding on to ideas has changed as I have as a person. Acquiring an understanding of what it means to give constructive and meaningful feedback has been challenging, I now feel that this key aspect of every project knowing that feedback is a two-way relationship and that accepting it has become for me one of the most important parts of my projects. I now know that the reasoning behind me choosing this particular subject area is my personal interest in investigating people, relationships and behavior in context of the built environment. This being something in which I apply to my everyday life. Now having a more in-depth and personal understanding of communication whether that be visual or verbal means I can insert this within the broader context of my final project. 

13TH MARCH - PROPOSAL EVALUATION

16TH MARCH - TUTORIAL / DISCUSSION AND FEEBACK

what feedback did you receive? Did you agree with the comments? how did this change your ideas about your proposal? what do you plan to do with this? why? how will this benefit you?

15TH MARCH - REVISED ACTION PLAN,

materiality, sustainablity, narrative, structure and surfaces, composition, circulation, users, needs, function, context (historical), thresholds 

exhibitions, richard serra 

5 weeks, from Thursday 16 march 

week 1 

———————————————————————————————————————————

location scout, start investigating spatial settings about 5 

simple evaluation of all 5 spaces, interior and exterior 

pictures, videos, sketches, recordings of sound and activity  

chose three of these spaces to carry our site analysis 

2 interior spaces, 1 exterior space 

circulation, movement, narrative, people/occupants, materials, structure, layers, light natural/ artificial. 

visualisations, reactions, contextual models, in relation to the specific space.

3 visualisations - 1 interior space , exterior space, narrative space (based of feelings, not accessing the spatial qualities, looking at narrative qualities) 

material testing, concrete 

narrative element - found object from different places, look at found object that you can set in the concrete 

evaluate emotion stones, use this influence to create an experiment 

3 experiments exploring concretising emotions and feels through word connotation of what i found at the site. 

use these concrete material tests to create a model that explores narrative and circulation and movements of people. 

framing spaces, wes anderson, symmetry

Use the found picture frame to investigate space looking through it. exploring the ideas of viewing and sight, blocking, sectioning

pictures, videos 

anthony mccall exhibition - use as influence. 

start investigating projection, experiments using the earlier visualisations models to create some filmic spaces 

2 filmic models

Start investigating sense and sensory/ immersive model making 

looking at sight, maybe a model where someone has look in. 

DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK - EXPLORING NARRATIVE ENVIRMOENTS FOR RESEARCH

22ND - REFLECTING ON MY PROGRESS DURING THE LESSON

Image

REFLECTION : 22ND - EVALUATING OTHERS/PEERS WORKFLOW

PERSONAL AIMS : GROUP EVALUATION IN ORDER TO DEVELOP  REFLECTIVE AND EVALUATIVE SKILS 

HOW DID THIS HELP? WHY ? CONFIDENCE BOOST how did you feel about looking at others workflow ? why?  was it a positive or negative experience? was it your first time look at another students reflections? how did they compare to yours ? in what way ? how has this changed your idea on the way you carry out your research and reflection ? why ? what was the main thing you came away with from this session? how did the atmosphere I the class change?

At first i found this activity strange it was the first time looking at the peers in my classes reflection and research, for me it was interesting however could se it made others quite uncomfortable. i felt myself comparing my work to the ones being projected on the screen. i was specifically looking a how there layout different to mine. in the past loaura has mention that my layout can come across unorganised. I took this chance to make notes on there work regarding the layout, i now understand how layout an the overall organisation of your work can make it easier to understand. earlier in the year i didn't feel as though that it made a large difference. The experience remained extremely positive which was nice, i feel this brought our group together by the end of this workshop. now having seeng a good example of layout i plan to make a conscience effort to keep everything on my workflow clear and concise. 

Action plan 

• weekly workflow reviews making sure everything is up to date and organised 

26TH - USER FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, IDEAS

DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK - REFLECTING ON HOW PEOPLE WOULD USE MY SPATIAL INTERVENTION

REFLECTION :

PERSONAL AIMS : EVALUATING USER(GENERAL PUBLIC) FEEDBACK AND QUESTIONING TO DEVELOP IDEAS AND CONCEPTS 

"WHAT DO THE ARROWS REPRESENT? IT ALMOST MAKES ME WANT TO FOLLOW THEM AROUND? "

" IT MAKES ME THINK OF THE WEATHER, I FEEL AS IF ITS GOING TO TELL ME WHAT THE WEATHER IS "

" IT REMINDS ME OF A FLOOR PLAN "

" HOW CAN WALK THROUGH THE SPACE IF THERE'S STRING OBSTRUCTING MY PATH"

26TH

27TH - COMMENTS

WHEN DOES SPACE ALTER THE BODYS MOVEMENTS ? WHEN DOES THE BODIES MOVEMENTS CHANGE THE SPACE 

SOURCING MATERIALS, INVESTING THE NARRATIVE THROUGH FOUND OBJECTS

REFLECTION: SOURCING MATERIALS ( DATE?)

what did you think about when choosing specific materials? have you tested or experimented with materials? which materials? was it successful ? why? whats the significance of the materials you sources? are you referencing the space you found them in? narrative ? 

REFERENCING MCCALL EXHIBITION, EXPERIEMENTATION VIA PROJECTION, ISSUES, SOLUTIONS

REFLECTION 13TH APRIL: GROUP TALK WITH GEORGIA STEELE EXPLAIN THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EVALUATIVE ESSAY

REFLECTION 13TH APRIL: PROGRESS TUTORIAL, DISCUSSION ON RESEARCH, FINDINGS AND CONTEXTUALISING MY IDEAS

REFLECTION 13TH APRIL : DISCUSSION POST TUTORIAL ABOUT THE THEORY OF DERIVE

DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK - PREMIER PRO EXPEREIMENTATION

REFLECTION 12TH APRIL: DISCUSSION WITH LOUARA, EXPLORING MY DIRECTION AND EXPANDING ON PRIMARY RESEARCH AND IDEAS I HAVE

REFLECTION 12TH APRIL: EXPLORING SCALE AND CONTEXT THROUGH EXPLORING MY OWN SPACE FIRST HAND

REFLECTION 14TH APRIL FINAL SITE

Text box

Proposal The process of writing my proposal was a completely new experience for me, I quickly found that my ideas about what I wanted to investigate kept changing and evolving as the project continued. Looking back at my first draft I can now appreciate what I was trying to achieve, however there were a few aspects that needed to be developed. My main concerns with my proposal was the broadness of my overall concepts and themes, I felt as though it would be difficult to achieve an in-depth study of narrative spaces as the subject area crosses over so many disciplines. I started by investigating precedents study’s/ spaces which enabled me to understand how I could concentrate the amount of subject areas I was looking at. Looking back this was an important step that I took in the writing of my proposal, it meant I could focus or pin point my personal aims and objectives with this project. Loaura advised me to look at the ma course “narrative environment” this was a key turning point in the beginning of my project it helped me understand how I could approach this subject area in a more conceptual and spatial way. At this point in the project I felt feedback was such a key resource as it had a direct effect on the next 7 weeks. Receiving feedback meant I could further my understanding of my proposal through conversing and sharing ideas with my peers. Looking back on the feedback I received I feel that it was completely valid, it seems as though my understanding of what I was discussing wasn't being translated in a way that the people could understand, this just highlighted the fact that I need to make a study support meeting to help me understand where I'm going wrong and correct this in preparation for rest of my project. Research Research remained a constant factor throughout my 7 weeks, I made a conscience effort to ensure my research flowed through my project as it was the main way for me to develop my own understanding of what my project on a whole. The decision of prioritizing my own primary research had a positive effect on my project. I carried out numerous experiments to find the answers I was looking for, the reason for this was I because I felt the results I was searching for couldn’t be found from secondary resources. I managed to gain primary research about how people move around public spaces in addition to how you can set certain controls on a space which can alter its composition. Whilst constructing the space my ideas were changing overtime I received feedback. The constructive feedback I was receiving from the general public changed the way I perceived my space each time. For me this experience was total personal as I carried the model in the front garden of my house. I found the space installation almost merge the threshold between my private property and the public space surrounding it. It was interesting to see how people felt comfortable enough to walk on to my front garden instead of walking straight past it. I was surprised at the amount of people became interested in what I was doing. Idea development The hats workshop was a great turning point for my idea development, it allowed me to evaluate ideas I was unsure about in detail as I had set points I could use to analyses with almost like a check list or guidelines to follow. This technique (by Edward Debeno) meant I could look at my ideas from a total non-bias and technical mindset. process of limitation lead to me having thought about idea regarding my next steps for my potential ideas. This was a crucial part in my project as it was when I felt my self-narrowing down and refining my project on a whole. At this point I was excited to see what direction my project was moving in as I felt I had finally found the specify subject area I want to develop.

15TH FEB - NOTES/ ACTION PLAN

REFLECTION 25TH - INVESTIGATING SPACES

25TH FEB - SELF DIRECTED STUDY, INVESTIGATING SPACES

UNIT AIMS 2:2 - USE ANALYTICAL AND EVALUATIVE SKILLS TO DEVELOP A RANGE OF CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO REALISE A SELF DIRECTED PROJECT 

where did you go? what did you see? smell? touch? taste? understand? feel? take away? why? what did you record? why? what types of behaviour did you see? who  did you speak to? why where they here? was it significant for you or them? weather? did this have an affect on behaviour? why? what words would you use to describe this space? why? how has this changed your view on what narrative is ? how do you plan on using this research?

Whilst investigating this particular space i made some valid realisation and connections which i felt i could use to better my understanding of narrative space. Interestingly i found that most of the spaces i found weren't particularly anything special. However what they consisted of was something quite interesting. I quickly learnt that the spacial qualities of this spaces created something unique. In this particular space, the use of artificial lighting affected peoples behaviour, I found that sketching out my observations made it easier for me to understand what was happening and why it was occurring. Having something to refer back to when not being in the environment meant i could use this as primary research. This process made it  extremely useful and i repeated this actively throughout the whole of my project. Carrying out small conversations with other occupants in the space also Heighten my understanding of what i was experiencing, interestingly what we were experiencing was necessarily the same which made me think about why this was. 

Action plan 

• Refer back to primary research and develop a better understanding 
  • carry out more contextual research (interior and exterior spaces)
  • Actively question yourself about what ouse experience in reflections 
  • Create a sketch book page visualising what you've experienced in this spaces 

13TH MARCH - PROPOSAL EVALUATION

REFLECTION : PROPOSAL EVALUATION : MAIN CONCERNS, ISSUES, SOLUTIONS, ANALYSIS / UNDERSTANDING TUTOR & PEER FEEDBACK

UNIT AIMS 1.1/1.2 - USE A DETAILED  ANALYSIS  AND EVALUATION TO CLARIFY  AND DEVELOP A PERSONAL SELF DIRECTED PROJECT 

What were your main concerns about your proposal ? how did you over come or combat these issues? who did you speak to ? how did this help you? what specific feedback did you receive? did you feel that it was constructive? how did this change your view on your proposal ? why? know having knew knowledge about the direction you would like to take your project what action to do you plan on taking? what are you next steps ? why is this necessary? how do you feel about your project so far ?  

My main concerns with my proposal was the broadness of my overall concepts and themes, I felt as though it would be difficult to achieve an in-depth study of narrative spaces because the subject area crosses over so many disciplines. I started by investigating precedents study’s/ spaces which helped me to understand how I could concentrate the amount of areas I was looking at. Looking back this was an important step that I took in the writing of my proposal, it allowed me to focus or pin point my aims and objectives with this project. Loaura advised me to look at the ma course “narrative environment” I now understand that this was a key turning point in the begin of my project it helped me understand how I could approach this subject area in a more conceptual and spatial way.  At this point In the project I felt feedback was such a key resource as it would have a direct affect on the next 7 weeks. However I found it difficult to receive feedback on my proposal because my understanding of it wasn’t complete.

Looking back on the feedback I received i feel that it was completely valid, it seem as though my understanding of what i was discussing wasn't being translated in away that the people could understand, I'm going to make a conscience effort in future to ensure my ideas are easily understood. This just highlighted the fact that i need to make a study support meeting to help me understand where I'm going wrong and correct this in preparation for rest of my project. 

Action plan 

• Work on finalising your proposal 
  • Go over initial research to strengthen your proposal and the subject area your discussing 
  • Ask one of your peers to look over your proposal
  • Contact pauline mood for study support meeting to help clarify your ideas about your proposal

Image

14TH MARCH - RICHARD SERRA, GAGOSIAN

REFLECTION : EXHIBITION VISIT : SPATIAL QUALITIES, MY EXPERIENCE, INFLUENCES ON MY IDEAS AND CONCEPTS (PROGRESSION)

UNIT AIMS 2.1- USE WIDE RANGING AND IN-DEPTH RESEARCH TO SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF A PERSONAL SELF DIRECTED PROJECT 

what emotions or feeling were felt whilst occupying the exhibtion space? why ? what spatial qualities enhanced the experience ? why ? which ideas and concepts looking back now were most interesting for you ? why? in what way does the space influence the way you feel about your project ? has this moved your ideas on in any way ? what do you think the main concepts were behind the exhibition? how has this changed your ideas on concepts? action plan ?

20TH MARCH - TUTORIAL, VISUAL BRAINSTORMING, IDEA ANALYSIS AND DEVELOPMENT

REFLECTION : DISCUSSING / SHARING OF IDEAS, FEEDBACK AND PROJECT PROGRESSION

PERSONAL AIMS : PEER/ TUTOR DISCUSSION AND FEEDBACK IN ORDER TO DEVELOP  REFLECTIVE AND EVALUATIVE SKILS 

how did discussing your ideas help you ? what were the main ideas you were struggling with? what were the main realisation you came to after this discussion? how did putting your ideas on paper change your ideas on your project ? why ? what feedback did you receive ? what was it regarding? what do you plan on doing with this? what are the next steps in moving your project on? models ? visualisations? action plan ?

i feel like have a chance to discuss my idea about my project had a really positive impact on my project. being about to talk about how i feel gave me a chance to hear an outside opinion of how i feel so far. this gave a sense of clarity and generally made me feel good about myself and my project. My main issues were the ideas around my concept and how i plan to insert this into my design. i found that my research was weak and was having a negative effect on the progress of my final project. The talk help me to realise that the foundation of my project wasn't strong enough to support the ideas i was talking about and that i need to look into more secondary research and president ideas and spaces. Putting my ideas down on paper meant i could see everything i was discussing, this helped with my overall understanding of the project as i know I'm a visual learner. This has lead e to think about how i approach problems and issues in my project, i plan to carry out more visual brainstorming in future. 

2OTH MARCH - HATS WORKSHOP

REFLECTION : OF MY EVALUATION, PROBLEM - SOLVING STRATEGIES

UNIT AIM 2.1/2.2 - USE ANALYTICAL AND EVALUATIVE SKILLS TO DEVELOP A  RANGE OF CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO REALISE A PERSONAL SELF DIRECTED PROJECT 

what did you come away with from carrying out the hats workshop ? was in useful? in what way? how did you feel about your project after the workshop? how has it changed your ideas about your concepts? what issues or problems did you find along the way ? how did you address them? did youu talk to anyone for advice ir feedback ? why ? was it positive ? how has this changes the way you look at your progect on a whole? how has this changed the way you evaluate your work? 

The hats workshop was a great turning point for my project so far, it allowed me to evaluate ideas i had in detail as I had set points I could use to analyses with almost like a check list or guidelines to follow. I feel this technique meant i could look at my  ideas from a total non bias and technical mindset. process  of limitation lead to me having thought about idea regarding my next steps for my potential ideas. this was a crucial part n my project as it was when i felt my self narrowing down and refining my project on a whole. I am excited to see what direction my project goes in from this point as i feel i have final found the specify subject area i want to touch on. i feel more confident in the direction my project is moving in. 

Action plan 

• Start visualising developed ideas, collaging and sketching 
  • look at constructing ideas in 3d form 

24TH - ACTION PLAN, SPATIAL INSTALLATION (PLANNING 3D CONSTRUCTION)

what ideas are you planning to communicate? how do you plan on doing so ? have you thought about the materials necessary ? time management and planning? how long will do you plan on spending on this? what do you hope to find out or gain through this construction? have you chosen a specific site to carry out your model ? have you thought about scale and how it could effect your end result? 

I decided to carry out a experiment investigating thresholds in public spaces, at first i was strugling to find a site location to carry out my spatial installation as i was looking at how people move or occupy public spaces. this meant carrying out initial site research prior to construction.  I found it interesting apply 1:1 scale during model making i feel it gave me a chance for occupants to experience my space. What mostly intrigued me was the fact i could manipulate a persons pathway without a phyiscal object. This made me think about how i could apply this idea in an interior space and how it would differ.  

26TH - INSTALLATION, FEEBACK, IDEAS AND PROGRESSION

26TH - USER FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, IDEAS

Text

" WHAT DOES THE SQUARE CUBE IN THE MIDDLE REPRESENT? "

" HOW LONG DO YOU THINK YOUR STRUCTURES GOING TO LAST ? "

" WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE THE FRONT GARDEN AND THE PAVEMENT FOR A SPACE TO USE "

" IT REMINDS ME OF SURREALIST ART "

REALISING IDEAS, 3D DEVELOPMENT, ISSUES, PROBLEMS,SOLUTIONS

REFLECTION: EXPLORING DEVELOPED IDEAS

UNIT AIMS 5:1 - DEMONSTRATE THE EXPLORATION , ADAPTATION AND APPLICATION OF A RANGLE OF PRACTICAL METHODS IN REALISATION OF A SELF DIRECTED PROJECT 

what were your aims set out for this realisation? what ideas did you plan to explore or develop? was it successful ? why ? did you receive feedback ? was it what you expected? did making your model go to plan? did you have any time restraints?  did this effect the quality of the model? what materials did you use ? paint ? wood ?   What issue did you come across? how did you save them ? what was the end result ? was it what you expected? 

My personal aims from creating the 3d realisation were to explore the primary research i just learn and apply this with a scaled down model, this meant i could pay around with technical aspects of the design. at this point in my project i feel it was necessary to start finalising certain parts of my design to help me move along the process. Im planning to take my design through many different processes and experiment in hope that i can use this to better and find out what works well. I feel i successfully explored all the ideas i plan through this model, my main aims were to develop my conceptual ideas about structure and form, as i feel this has a large part to play in the overall design in my project. Feedback was a big part of this model making process, i asked of feedback from peers at two points during the mode making process. It helped me think about the ideas i was trying to communicate through my design.  Time management for this model was good, before starting this model i had working drawing to help with form that i could continuously refer back to, this meant there was not a lot of room for doubt or stalling. i feel this had a direct effect o the quality and the finish of this model. 

REFLECTION 2RD APRIL: EXPERIMENTING WITH MATERIALS WHILST USING FORMS AND SHAPES TO DEFINE SPACES (CLAY)

REFLECTION : EVALUATING AND TESTING OF MATERIALS, IDEAS, CHANGE IN PROJECT DIRECTION

how was your first experience working with clay? why did you choose this material? how did it feel when using it? would you use it gain? was the final outcome successful? did you finish your model? why ? time restrictions? how long did it take? did you ask for help? who did you consult? why ? would you work with this material again? why not ? how has this changed your ideas regarding materiality within your project? action plan ? 

Today was my first experience working with clay, i found it difficult for a number of reason which meant i wasn't happy wth the final outcome. I chose to work with clay to experiment with a range of materials, to gain enough primary research when it come to chasing a material to finalise when making my final outcome. I quickly became frustrated the using this specific material as the complex forms and shapes i was trying to communicate weren't be translated, i learnt that clay wasn't the best material to make complex shapes and edges with. This means that i could use this for my final piece as material isn't suitable for what my ideas I'm trying to communicate. For this reason the i feel like the outcome was not successful and I'm not bringing this specific material forward. I found it hard to work with because clay ives time restrictions when working with it as it tends to dry when not in damp conditions, this lead to hours being spend catering to the material instead of finalising my 3d model.  This has completely changed my ideas about which materials I'm using and has made me think about materials a lot more. I now know that more of my time needs to be spend experimenting with materials to gain an idea of how the will work in relation to my project. 

REFLECTION : PROJECT 7 FINAL OUTCOME

Text box

Final outcome

Developing a final outcome was the most straight forward part of the 7 weeks, I felt confident due to the process of evolving my project through numerous spatial ideas.

There were difficult decisions that needed to be made during the process but these were combated by my in-depth research which I could use to confirm any worries I had. Even at this stage of my project I still found myself referring back to prior research. Towards the end of my project I decided to evaluate my proposal against my final outcome to investigate how my final ideas differed to the ideas I once had at the start of unit

REFLECTION : 26TH FEB ANTHONY MCCALL EXHIBITION - EXHIBITION VISIT : SPATIAL QUALITIES, MY EXPERIENCE, INFLUENCES ON MY IDEAS AND CONCEPTS (PROGRESSION)

Occupying a space between cinema, sculpture, and drawing, his work’s historical importance has been recognized in such exhibitions as “Into the Light: the Projected Image in American Art 1964-77,” Whitney Museum of American Art (2001-2); “The Expanded Screen: Actions and Installations of the Sixties and Seventies,” Museum Moderner Kunst, Vienna (2003-4); “The Expanded Eye,” Kunsthaus Zurich (2006); “Beyond Cinema: the Art of Projection,” Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin (2006-7); “The Cinema Effect: Illusion, Reality and the Projected Image,” Hirshhorn Museum, Washington DC (2008); and “On Line: Drawing Through the Twentieth Century,” Museum of Modern Art (2010–11).

what were your feeling when entering the space? how did you feel? what could you see? was it loud? was there any sound? what was your understanding of hes work? how does this relate to you? and your work? what discussions did you have? with whom? what did you come away with? how has this changed the way you think about your project? action plan? any realisations? this being your first spatial exhibition? was there any narrative? what did he have to say about hes work? did you agree? why?

When first entering the space the first thing that i notices was how dark it was . this made me feel little claustrophobic and without any knowledge to what was happening around me. This instantly made me think about my senses and how we as humans depend on them when occupying a space. this also made me think about how important natural daylighting is in a space and what you can achieve by simply just not having it. mcccll uses and adapts certain spatial qualities  which can have direct physical and mental affects on person occupying a space. This pushed me to think about how i can use my space or my design to control how someone feels in a built environment. discussing what i was experience with the artist him self really gave me an insight in how this type of installation can have sensory affects on a person.  I feel having the artist share he's thoughts on he's own work gave me a better understanding of what i could then do with the knowledge i just required. visiting this exhibition has completely changed the way i first felt about my project and what is achievable. My understanding for using space as a material has completely changed. i want to know start investigating how small scale spatial interventions can have a direct affect on the way we feel. 

Action Plan 

• Further research into ant honey mccalls spatial art, visual and theoretical research 
  • Analyse photographs taken, update primary research 
  • Investigate the affects spatial qualities such as natural daylight can have 
  • Experimentation, look at how you could use projection 

REFLECTION : 27TH FEB - SPEED DATING WORKSHOP, GENERATING IDEAS THROUGH SHARING AND GENUINE CONVERSATION, BRAINSTORMING 1 TO 1

PERSONAL AIMS : GENERATING INITIAL IDEAS THOUGH PEER FEEDBACK AND COLLABORATION 

what were your first impression did you have to begin with? why? who did you converse with? what did you get from them? what did you give to them? how was the process of feedback? was it natural? forced? why? how did this change your views on your project? how do you feel about your project now? what are you next steps? action plan ?

at the start of the workshop i was unwilling to share my current ideas as i felt they wasn't solidified, i had a rough idea of the direction i wanted to take my ideas and concepts, but i never had anything which was set in stone. at first i found it hard to talk about my ideas i felt embarrassed as i did have a concrete idea. once i got into it and started talking about the ideas i had and stopped worrying about the ones i didn't have, the conversation flowed alot better and quickly became natural. I managed to take alot away from the first person i exchanged ideas with. jess, a fine artist, recommended me a 2 sculpture artist. This was an amazing starting point for me as my prior knowledge on fine art as a discipline was minimal. I quickly found that the more i started speaking about my ideas the more they developed, i feel like this process of just conversations is extremely valuable and is something i plan to continue. My insecurities held me back. now knowing this i plan to set up weekly discussions with my peers on a total informal basis, i found that bottling my ideas up is self destructive  and doesn't increase my chances of developing my project.

From the very beginning of the workshop I was unwilling to share my initial ideas, as i genuinely felt that they weren't solidified, although I had a rough idea of my overall ideas and concepts but wasn't confident in anything that I produced thus far. I also had a slight difficulty in communicating my ideas and concepts due to my lack of confidence, though once I delved into the flow of things and started brainstorming 

20TH MARCH - EXHIBITION LECTURE

REFLECTION : REVISING MARKING CRITERIA, UNDERSTANDING ASSESSMENT POINTS , SELF- QUESTIONING

how was todays lecture ? what were your first impression of the information that was being presented to you ? why ? did this help ? whats your understanding of the critea post lecture compared to before? what question did you ask yourself regarding your proposal? why ? how did this help ? who did you discuss your ideas with? did you receive feedback ? how did this help ? did this move ypou forward ? in which direction ? did you give feedback ?

Todays lecture was extremely important for me, i felt that it gave better idea on what is being asked of me. At this stage of the project i hadn't  been through the mark scheme or looked at the overall process. I felt my understanding of the marking criteria has been heighten. The lecture installed a sense of confidence, it gave me a chance to clarify any aspect that i wasn't sure on which meant i could now carry on with y project with a more informed and refined mind set. It also put a lot of aspects i was unsure about into perspective, I gained a sense of the amount of time i have left and what parts of my project were weak and needed improvement. 

Action plan 

• Read over mark scheme in detail 
  • Make a new timetable regarding the amount of time you have left and hat you plan to achieve 
  • Investigate the parts of your project that need improvement and refinement 

Image

21TH MARCH - REVIEWING TIMETABLE, ORGANISING TIME

REFLECTION : IMPLEMENTING TIME MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES AND ACTION PLANS

UNIT AIM 4.1 - DEMONSTRATING THE ABILITY TO EFFICIENTLY PLAN, ORGANISE AND PRODUCE A PERSONAL SELF DIRECTED PROJECT WITHIN AN AGREED TIME

how do you feel you've been managing your time so far ? how do you feel about the amount of time you have left?  what have you put in place to make sure you stay o track ? have you bee keeping to your proposal action plan ? has this been helpful?  why ? asides from this what other time management strategies have you bee implementing? is time management an issue for you ? have you seen anyone like Pauline moon ?

So far time management hasn't been a priority for me, i feel I've been consistently on track for the majority of the time. However I do feel that i could become a lot more effective if i put specific time management strategies in place. One thing that has been successful for me is my daily action plans, for me is delegating certain days for planning and organisation. This gives me a chance to reflect on my performance and look at ways of improving the amount of task I'm overseeing. As I've got further into my project I've gotten better with planning and organisation, i feel at the start of the project my ability to plan organise and complete task was limited as i hadn't set aside time to think about it. I now know that this is one of the most important activities and i carry out weekly organisation sessions. My ability to efficiently plan, organise and produce has become more natural. I also plan to go and see pauline moon for advice on how to further my time management stratagies.

Action plan 

• Book a time to see pauline moon for time management strategies 

REFLECTION : 22ND - MAKE IT IN A DAY WORKSHOP : ISSUES, RESTRICTIONS I EXPERIENCED, 3D CONSTRUCTION OF IDEAS

UNIT AMS 3:1 - BE ABLE TO SOLVE PRATICAL, THEORETICAL AND TECHNICAL PROBEMS IN PROJECT UNDERSTANDING 

key themes: idea generating, circulation, movement, controls

Materials: wood, nails, string, elastic  

what were your first impressions of this workshop ? why ? were you worried about the time restrictions ? how do you feel about your final model? why ? what went well ? what were the issues or problems you came across? problemsolving ? technical problems ? how did you solve them ? did you receive feeback along the way ? 

At first i felt a little discouraged when carrying out this workshop because forming initial ideas is a process that i feel needs more improvement. The time restrictions forced me to carry out a large amount of design ideas within a small period of time. I feel this strategy of creating ideas is something that I'm planning on carrying out through my project. Gaining a final idea to construct became easier as i was able to develop the ideas which i felt had potential. Technical issues become something i had to spend a large majority of my time on, i found that asking for peer feedback gave me the time to reflect on the process so far and pin point the issues i was facing with materiality. table recommended using a material that could with strain the tensile strength of the string, i found that a wooden structure work a lot better in the design after testing a range of materials. 

UNIT AIMS 2:1  : USE RESEARCH, ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION TO DEVELOP SOLUTIONS FOR PROJECT 

influences from richard serra ? why did you chose to investigate movement ? circulation. yu were influenced by exhibition any exhibitions ? where ? take from richard serra reflection what connections or realisations were made from carrying out this workshop? how has this change your idea for your project ? has it pushed your ideas o in anyway ? what ideas was your model based on ? why? inspiration ? exhibitions ? artist? scale ? what materials did you decided to use ? were they successful? 

I found influences from richard serra spatial exhibition at the gagosian gallery, it was interesting occupying the spaces he carved out from existing thresholds, I noticed that the spatial invertntions which he installs have direct affects on the was we move, circulate, experience and feel in these pocket environments that are made. I made a direct a direct relationship whilst experience serras spaces, he creates a narrative by taking you on a journey through spatial manipulation. This pushed me to experiment with shapes and allowing them to define and manipulate spaces, i took serra ideas about circulation and movement and applied this to my 3d structure. i chose to represent my idea in a 1:25 scale, i found my self struggling applying scale from my design ideas so i decided to refer back to previous workshops in my sketch book. Referring back to previous workshops is a good way to refreshing process I've learnt in the past and will be a option i will be continuously carrying out during my project.

Action plan

• Start carrying development through experimentation and 3d construction
  • Refer back to research to develop ideas around concept and theme 
  • Investigate materiality within your designs 
  • start resourcing materials 

EVALUATION / COMPREHENSION : PROJECT - MAKE IT IN A DAY

23RD - VISUALISATIONS, PHOTOGRAPHY , IDEA DEVELOPMENT

CONNECTIONS MADE, CONNOTATIONS. PROJECT PROGRESS

PHOTOGRAPHING MODELS, BLACK AND WHITE ? WHY ? INSTEAD OF COLOUR?

how did you move your ideas on from the ' making it in a day ' workshop ? what were the reasons for this? why ? visualization? photgraphy ? how has the progress of photography moved your ideas on? what connections were made? mecca? why ? how has the process of editing and visualization change or move on your conceptions? how have the ideas of spiritual journey been through about in your project?  did you receive any feedback ? what points did they touch on ? how did you feel about the comments? who made them ?  what are your next steps? action plan? 

I started moving my ideas on from the make it in a day workshop by creating realisations on my model. i decided to use photo shop as a way of achieve a more refined and focused final realisation of a developed idea. this was the first time I've used photoshop this year and quickly found myself struggling. I explained the technical issues i was facing with a digital technician and receive feedback and advice on how to use the software more efficiently. Also to commit my problems  decided to carry out software research via youtube and found varied videos with detail explanations and tutorials. The editing of my photograph moved my ideas on quickly, i started making connections between my work and potential ideas, i feel as though this has been a important stage in my project as I'm seeing my project come to life.  i received large amounts of positive and constructive feedback which decided to write down and reflect on when home. it was interesting hearing the amount of comparisons people came up with when giving me feedback on my 3d model. i received the most feedback than at another stage in this project, i feel it was because it gave people to the chance to visualise my ideas and there was something tangible to take in, touch, feel and experience. This has made think about the way i present my work in future and how i can receive the most constructive and influential feedback. 

26TH - USER FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, IDEAS

REFLECTION : QUESTIONS ASKED, FEEDBACK GIVEN, ANALYSIS OF OTHERS IDEAS ON MY MODEL

" ARE YOU ALOUD TO OBSTRUCT THE PAVEMENT FROM OTHER PEDESTRIANS?"

" THIS MAKES ME THINK ABOUT A CIRCLE, YOUR MODEL IS BASED AROUND A POINT, ALMOST 3060 DEGREES "

" HOW DO YOU PLAN ON USE THIS, WHATS THE PURPOSE OR FUNCTION ? " 

26TH - INSTALLATION

REFLECTION : EVAULATING MY FIRST PUBLIC SPATIAL EXHIBITION

UNIT AIMS 4:1 - DEMONSTRATE THE ABILTY TO EFFICIENTLY PLAN, ORGANISE AND PRODUCE A PERSONAL SELF DIRECTED PROJECT WITHIN IN AN AGREED TIME 

PERSONAL AIMS : EXPLORE DEVELOPED IDEAS BY PLACING CONCEPTS INTO A CONTEXTUAL SETTING (REAL LIFE SCALE 1:1)

what ideas were you trying to communicate through creating this model ? was it successfull ? how so? how did this move your ideas on ? has this changes your veiw or direction of your project ? why? how ? where did you carry the exhibition out ? how do you feel about your site? what impact did your site have on your model ? did you recieve any feedback ? from who ? how did you feel about what was being said? was it useful? how did you use it ? did it change anything or the way you think about things ? were you surprised at the reaction ? what materials did you use ? why ? where they successfull? what could you have done differently? action plan ? documentation? 

During this spatial experimentation stage I felt my model communicated ideas about manipulation, circulation and controls,  looking back I now feel that the public insulation was a successful, I managed to  gain primary research about how people move around public spaces in addition to how you can set certain controls on a space which can alter its composition. Whilst constructing the space my ideas were changing overtime i received feedback. The constructive feedback i was receiving from the general public changed the was i perceived my space each time. For me this experience was total personal as i carried the model in the front garden of my house. I found the space installation almost merge the threshold between my private property and the public space surrounding it. It was interesting to see how people felt comfortable enough to walk on to my front garden instead of walking straight past it. I was surprised at the amount of people became interested in what i was doing. 

Action plan 

• Using research from public exhibition, create a scaled down model to help move ideas along
  • Start dressing your ideas in different situations and contexts 
  • Model making as development

REFLECTION 5TH APRIL: EXPLORING THE USE OF PROJECTION AS A WAY OF INSERTING A STORY OR NARRATIVE

REFLECTION :

how did video projection change your ideas on your model ? was it successful? how did you deal with any technical issues you had? did you revise feedback? from who? was it useful ? how did this change your ideas? why'd you chose to use projection? who influenced you ? how do you plan on moving your ideas on?  what were your aims set out for this realisation? what ideas did you plan to explore or develop? was it successful ?

This particular projection model has confirmed my ideas on the way i plan to communicate narrative in my project. i found the use of moving project really brings a 3d model to life and helps to provide a sense of context. Today has been extremely successful and has boosted my confidence about my project on a whole. I experienced the most problems and difficulties when creatng this model, the use of construction and technical aspects meant i spent a lot of time altering certain  small details once i felt it was complete. I found i had to communicate with my peers a lot of the time about technical aspects which took time and patience. feedback and other people options made up a large part in the making of this model, i need someone to consult with to find the best solutions for my problems. My aims where to explore narrative within a 3d context to strengthen my ideas on the part if my project.

DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK - 3D PROJECTION MODEL

REFLECTION 15TH APRIL : DEFINING FINAL CONTEXTUAL SITE, SKETCHING OF FINAL IDEA, ISUSE AND PROBLEMS REGARDING SPACE

DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK - 1:1 SCALE MODEL, OCCUPYING MY SPACE FIRST HAND

13TH APRIL REFLECTION : MY EXPERIENCES OCCUPYING MY SPACE, EXPLORATION AND TESTING OF IDEAS

how did you feel when in this space? what are you ideas trying to communicate?  was it successful ? why ? how did this affect the way you moved around it ? materials? choice of materials ? 2d with 3d feeling?  controls ? what were your aims set out for this realisation? what ideas did you plan to explore or develop? did you receive feedback ? was it what you expected? did making your model go to plan? did you have any  restraints?  did this effect the quality of the model? what materials did you use ?   What issue did you come across? how did you save them ? what was the end result ? was it what you expected? 

When entering this space I found it interesting, the fact that the space was made up from nothing 3 dimensional except for the existing space made it hard to understand. unconsciencly I started following the lines and the arrows, i feel as tho the arrows are guiding around the space and make up a large part of it. The installation communicated my ideas surround movement and a spatial journey and i feel that it does this successfully, i am totally pleased with results. Materials although simple gave an effect which seem complex, i found the construction quite simple as i had a design idea to follow which helped the process.  I chose to use the material as it leave room for imagination and interpretation. from feedback i found that every single person interpreted the space completely differently and move around in in a different way which was interesting to watch. I found it was a good idea to film them experiencing my space so that i could evaluate the behaviour when reflecting. I plan to use this primary behavioural research to help design my final space. I started this design idea without any expectations as i wanted to the process to remain completely natural, when asked about how your supposed to move around the space i had no answers, this mean again the result remain raw and natural. 

educational websitesCU
17 April 2017, 3:38 PM
What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me. Great job.
http://educationclue.eu
1 comment